Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Let A Sleeping Dog Lie!


Whoever came up with the saying, "Let a sleeping dog lie", had my dog Buddy in mind. Buddy is my 4 year old Border Collie. When my granddaughter wanted a black and white dog and we found Buddy, I did not know about these high energy dogs. He wakes up every morning full of energy and joy in the new day. The first thing he does is jump half-way on my bed. His front legs are on the bed and his hind legs still on the floor. He is a big dog. Border Collies range from 26 - 75 pounds, Buddy weighs 85 pounds! He starts his morning with an all over body massage, which he loves. Then runs outside with a ball in his mouth, ready to play. I throw the ball for about 20 minutes and then we take our walk around the back of the house, back and forth, back and forth. You see I can't take him on the street anymore, because he hates other dogs and wants to attack them. He bolted once toward a dog and the leash wrapped around my finger and broke it, so we take our walks and play in the back yard.

Buddy thinks all day is play time. We play first thing in the morning and then everyday at 3:00pm in the afternoon. He can be sound asleep, but wake up and come tell me it is 3:00! (He also knows when it is 6:00pm, dinner time. Dogs have an amazing internal time clock.) He loves to chase bubbles, that I blow, and we play volleyball with balloons. When he is finished playing he loves to pop them. He love to chase the crows and squirrels in the backyard. His favorite toys are a beat up soccer ball and his "baby". His baby is a stuffed dog that I bought to keep him from getting my granddaughter's stuffed animals. We play after dinner and before bed. He is ready to play anytime his awake.

Well, as the saying goes, let a sleeping dog lie, because Buddy can be fast asleep and if he get awakened, he is ready to play.