Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Buddy, Not Your Ordinary Dog!


Buddy is my 4 year old Border Collie. He is what I call a replacement dog. When my dog, Jake died at age 14, I was devastated and so was my granddaughter. She cried all the time after Jake died and she kept talking about getting a new dog. She wanted a black and white dog named Buddy, like the dog she had seen on an episode of Elmo. I searched the internet for black and white dogs and found Border Collies. That must be the dog she saw. I checked the ads in the paper to see if any were available. I didn't have alot of money and the dogs listed were expensive.
One day there was an ad for Border Collies, and they were only $200.00. I called and there was only one black and white male. He was 8 weeks old. We packed up the car and drove out to the desert, 2 1/2 hours, to get him. The pen where the pups were kept was filled with poop, the water was green and the food covered with flies. Our Buddy had a severe overbite, as a result of overbreeding. But my granddaughter fell in love with him.
He was a scared dog from the start. He had never been in a house or on grass. Every new experience was frightening for him. We had him 1 week and he became very ill. We rushed him to the vet and for a couple of days, we didn't know whether he was going to pull through. I kept praying to God not to take Buddy. We had just lost Jake and my granddaughter didn't need to lose another dog. He did recover and came home a very happy puppy.
He is still a very "sensitive" dog. He doesn't like to go for walks. He doesn't like to go for car rides. He doesn't like when I leave him. But, Buddy is the sweetest, most loving, and a very playful dog. He made a great replacement for Jake. Oh, by the way, I watched the episode of Elmo that my granddaughter saw after we had Buddy, and that dog was not a Border Collie!