Friday, February 13, 2009

Dangers of New or Self-Cleaning Ovens for Birds, Cats, Dogs and Humans

I turned on my new oven tonight and the smell was horrific. My granddaughter started coughing, I felt like I couldn't breathe and Buddy was sneezing. I turned the oven off and aired out the house and turned on all of my air purifiers.

I looked at the instruction book that came with the oven and there was nothing about toxic fumes for a new oven or warnings about using the self-cleaning function.

I looked online and found that the fumes from new ovens and when self-cleaning can put out toxic fumes that can kill your pet birds. The birds should be moved to another room and put a towel under the door to block out any fumes.

If these fumes are so toxic that they can kill a bird, they can be toxic to cats, dogs, children and adults, as well. I found out that the fumes cause flu-like symptoms (polymer fume fever) in humans.

It is the non-stick surfaces that contain polytetrafluoroethylene that are toxic. The oven needs to off-gas by heating full blast for 2 hours. The windows need to be opened up and keep pets, birds and humans outside.