Thursday, February 5, 2009

Are You Exposing Your Pet to Toxins Around Your Home?

I wrote a previous blog (October 2, 2008 "Close-to-the-ground toxins your pet needs to avoid."), but this subject is well worth repeating.

Think about all of the places your dog or cat walks around inside and outside of your home. Now consider some of the everyday products that you use -- household cleaners, garden products, and more. All of these products are such a part of our everyday lives, most pet parents don't think about how harmful they can be to your pets. In fact, many of these products go beyond just giving your pet a tummy ache if licked or eaten. They can pose a real health hazard to your furry friends.

Because our pets walk and play on the floors, and come in contact with just about everything in the house, they are constantly being exposed to dangerous toxins -- things like:
Wall/floor/toilet bowl cleaners, bleach, detergents, rust removers, metal polish, drain cleaners, ammonia, oven cleaners, furniture polish, floor wax.

Chemical fertilizers and pesticides are a major source of environmental toxins. A study at the School of Veterinary Medicine, Purdue University, revealed that the exposure to lawns treated with herbicides four or more times a year doubled a dog's risk of canine lymphoma. And the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Assoc. reported that, when exposed to chemically treated lawns, some breeds of dogs were four to seven times more likely to suffer from bladder cancer.

Antifreeze is made with ethylene glycol. It has a sweet taste that animals love, but can be fatal in a dose as small as 1 teaspoon.

De-icing salts used to melt snow and ice on your walkways and driveway can irritate paws and can be poisonous if licked off. Wash and dry your pet's paws as soon as they come in from the outside. Boots help protect your pet's feet outdoors.

Carefully read the labels of housecleaning and garden products. Change to safe and environmentally friendly products that will help prevent your pet from getting sick --or worse.