Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Be Careful of Anti-freeze

Anti-freeze can be deadly to animals. Don't overlook the anti-freeze that might leak or drip from your automobile. Sometimes when cars overheat, some antifreeze runs out on the ground. Apparently it tastes good, because animals will lick it up. This can cause serious poisoning that often ends in death.

Less toxic, but still harmful are transmission fluids, used oils, even batteries left out on the ground. Store all of these things inside the garage in sealed containers.

If you spill any of these hazardous materials or your car leaks them, don't wash it away. Sprinkle with sawdust, vermiculite or cat litter to absorb it, then sweep it up and put it in a plastic bag to dispose of as hazardous waste.