Sunday, January 18, 2009

Obese Cats, Grains and Diabetes


I wrote in a previous blog about overweight cats, diabetes and the cause (The Diabetes Food Connection in Cats, Sept. 3. 2008). Cats are becoming obese and getting sick with diabetes at an alarming rate. The cause --- their food. Most cat foods are filled with grains, mostly corn. Cats are carnivores, they need meat as the main ingredient in their food, not grains.


I was visiting a friend the other day and her cat is very obese. She said she was very concerned about him. I asked to see the food she was feeding him. She brought out a bag of Meow Mix. I showed her the first ingredient --WHOLE YELLOW CORN. I told her that cats are not grain eaters and the corn is just turning to sugar, which turns to fat. I had her switch to a natural brand of food, Wellness, they have a grain-free food for cats. I have a picture of her cat now, (at 23 pounds !) and will give you an update in a month.