Saturday, December 20, 2008

Christmas Tree Dangers to Pets

Christmas decorations and celebrations can pose a threat to all pets. These tips will help you to keep your pets safe around the home this festive season.

The Christmas tree is one of the highlights for adults and children alike. It also poses a few hazards to your pets.

The tree can be pulled over by tugging on branches or cords. Make sure your tree is well anchored so your pet can't pull it over.

Electrical light cords can be chewed and cause severe electrical shock. Put cords in a PVC pipe or cover them well.

Broken ornaments can cause cuts to the feet and other parts of the body and even more dangerous if they are chewed on. Use unbreakable ornaments.

Many people add chemicals to the tree water to extend the life of the tree, which can be toxic to pets if they drink it. Its a good idea not to add anything to the water if your pet can get to it.

Fallen tree needles are very sharp and can easily get stuck in your pet's paws or throat. Sweep or vacuum often.

Avoid tinsel or ribbons which are dangerous to the gastrointestinal tract if your pet swallows them. This could mean that surgery is necessary to remove it from the intestines.

Do not hang chocolates from your Christmas tree. They are highly toxic and your pet will be tempted if he can see or smell them.