Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Don't Give Corn Cobs to Your Dog

Many dogs love to chew on corn cobs -- most love the taste of the salt, butter and bits of corn. However, corn cobs can cause intestinal obstruction, a very serious (and potentially fatal) medical condition. Additionally, some dogs are allergic to corn and can suffer intestinal and other health effects from allergy, as well as the cob obstruction.

Please keep all cobs away from your dog, safely secured in the trash.

If you suspect your dog has eaten a cob, please call your vet, as soon as possible. The symptoms of intestinal obstruction may include: vomiting or dry heaves, diarrhea, painful abdomen or lethargy.